Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- 'Dr. Phil': To air 'intervention with Bobbi Brown's partner
- Report: Suicides by girls and young women continue to climb
- Ga. Senate passes controversial 'religious freedom' bill
- 3 indicted for stealing restitution money from Ga. agency
- Ga. girl charged in fatal crash that killed 3
- Passengers: Plane slid the moment it landed at LaGuardia
- Jury convicts mom of capital murder in daughter's 2007 death
- Passenger: Evacuation of plane was orderly
- Passenger: Wing of plane that skidded off runway got torn up
- Police: Federal judge shot during robbery attempt in Detroit
- Another solid month of job gains over 200K expected for Feb.
- More want local beef, but fewer want tough job of cutting it
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ends
- Chain of kidney transplants begins at San Francisco hospital
- Officials: Truck driver fell asleep in fatal collision
- Entrances to UC Santa Cruz cleared; student protest ongoing
- Protesters at Nevada air base call for end to drone warfare
- Ga. Senate OK's religious freedom bill feared by LGBT groups
- 1 entrance to UC Santa Cruz opens; student protest ongoing
- Head of UN Women: No country has reached gender equality
- Knife attack in China train station leaves 9 injured
- Mexico: Troops kill 4 in gunbattle near border with Texas
- Suspended Supreme Court judge in Panama sentenced to prison
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 33
- Syria says it killed military leader of al-Qaida group
- Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 32
- Boko Haram refugees risk lives to cross lake to Chad camps
- Envelopes with white powder found at Canadian offices
- Kerry seeks to ease Arab concerns over Iran deal
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!