Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police arrest man after car involved in 2 police chases
- 2 arrested in Savannah after car broadsides police car
- Georgia post to give Vietnam vets homecoming they never had
- 2 Fantasy 5 players each win $93,551.64 jackpot
- East Point police investigate shooting of security guard
- Man found in Chattahoochee may have fallen from boat
- Police investigate suspicious death of security guard
- Mayor: Plan for bullet train likely stopped in its tracks
- Crews pull boater's body from Chattahoochee River
- DeKalb fire officials color coding hydrants
- Anonymous threats against airliners prompt plane searches
- The Latest: Death toll from Mexico twister climbs to 13
- NFL player Ray McDonald arrested in domestic violence case
- Cause of death of child in swing undetermined after autopsy
- Police: 3 kids injured when waterspout uproots bounce house
- Couple missing for 2 weeks drank rainwater, ate oranges
- The Latest on weather: Vehicles line up outside damaged town
- Veterans History Project nears 100,000 items at US library
- Knotty exhibit planned for pope symbolizes life's challenges
- Company lowers worst-case scenario for California oil spill
- Nigerian court orders release of senator arrested in 'Orange is the New Black'-related case
- Galapagos Island volcano erupts first time in 33 years
- Ireland's first gay marriage possible by July, minister says
- Elections in Suriname to decide gov't for next 5 years
- Independent candidate rides hated of politics in Mexico
- German protests Russia's decision to turn away Merkel ally
- Egypt official says Sinai extremists kill soldier in clashes
- Bangladesh bans Islamist group accused of killing bloggers
- United Arab Emirates launches national space agency strategy
- Brazil prison riot leaves at least 7 dead
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!