Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta train stations reopened after smoke prompts closures
PHENIX CITY, Ala. (AP) -- An eastern Alabama city has reached a settlement with a woman who said her eye socket was fractured when a police officer punched her in May 2014.
- Rapper Rick Ross released from jail in metro Atlanta
- Man, teen arrested in Georgia Wal-Mart rampage
- Atlanta train stations evacuated due to smoky conditions
- Regulators order end to Kemper rate increase, plan refunds
- Pennsylvania plant that retreads construction tires closing
- Georgia teen visits University of Hawaii with Make-A-Wish
- Man finds part of human skull on beach; identity is mystery
- Tennessee police cancel Amber Alert for 14-year-old girl
- New lights cast a bright glow at Statue of Liberty
- Police: Missing 7-month old boy's body found in river
- Land Management official sentenced in workplace fraud case
- Search for California baby suspended; no signs of abduction
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- 2 more bodies found in river 3 days after boat capsized
- Flooding in Missouri and Indiana
- Judge awards nearly $230,000 to woman who got 153 robocalls
- Judge rejects plea deal for woman charged in starvation case
- Congress backs bill expanding access for VA-issued ID cards
- Greek expected to produce detailed plan to seek new bailout
- The Latest: Pope visits Jesuit church, then calls it a day
- Mexican rights agency asks army to avoid ambiguous orders
- The Latest: Crowd cheers pope at meeting with civic groups
- The Latest: Pope urges Latin American youth to save planet
- The Latest: Crowds cheer pope on his way to education speech
- The Latest: Pope gives bear hugs to children in Ecuador
- Doctors declare former Guatemalan dictator unfit for trial
- Spain: Alhambra palace director resigns amid investigation
- The Latest: Head of Ecuador's bishops praises pope's visit
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!