Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia native among 6 service members killed in Afghanistan
- Trooper fired for driving fast in crash that killed 2 teens
- Georgia man among 6 airmen killed in Afghanistan
- DA: Officer charged for fatally striking pedestrian with car
- CAU holds 95th anniversary for school of social work
- The Latest: Joaquin starts to move away from Bahamas
- Trooper fired
- Former deputy admits to child molestation charges, sentenced
- Convicted killer accidentally released caught in Atlanta
- Forecast for up to 5 inches of rain fuels flood concerns
- 'Natural' cigarette maker subject of class-action lawsuit
- FDNY: 12 injured when bus crashes into Queens home
- FDNY: 1 dead, 3 others injured in apparent gas blast
- Biden: No question transgender people can serve in military
- The Latest: Hurricane Joaquin moving toward Bermuda
- Official: 25 hurt in collapse of concrete awning at school
- Water filter distribution starts for residents in Flint
- Authorities investigate freeway shooting in Phoenix suburb
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following Oregon shootings
- NY woman accused in Ohio of contaminating son's feeding tube
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
- Doctors Without Borders leaves Afghan city after airstrike
- Jordanian MP says son joined IS, carried out suicide attack
- Typhoon heads for south China; tens of thousands evacuated
- The Latest: Obama demands details on Afghan clinic airstrike
- Emirates vote for federal council sees 35-percent turnout
- The Latest: UN chief condemns deadly Kunduz hospital bombing
- The Latest: US military promises inquiry of Kunduz bombing
- The Latest: US defense chief promises Kunduz investigation
- The Latest: Confusion over bombing of Afghanistan hospital
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!