Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Records: Georgia, Alabama governors meet on water dispute
- Employers to seek to fill jobs at northeast Georgia job fair
- Atlanta airport set to open new northbound entrance
- Man killed in shooting at DeKalb apartment complex
- Woman killed in Clayton County stabbing
- Feds indict 1 after noose put on Ole Miss integration statue
- 2 Georgia men sentenced for robbing postal workers
- Senate sends bill detailing school takeover to governor
- Police chief: Shooting investigation to be reviewed by GBI
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss
- Painstaking search continues after NYC blast, but hope dims
- 7 shot and injured at Florida spring break house party
- Chicago universities study astronaut on 1 year space mission
- Wildfire threatens Montana ski area, forcing evacuation
- LA commuter train hits car, partially derails; 21 hurt
- LA commuter train hits car, partially derails; 22 hurt
- Alabama DB Geno Smith arrested on DUI charge
- Police officer wounded in Arizona Wal-Mart melee recovering
- Trooper wounded in barracks ambush hopes to return to force
- 5 hurt, 1 seriously, when 2 cars hit by LA commuter train
- Eiffel Tower goes dark in symbolic move for Earth Hour
- Australia signs up to negotiations on Chinese-led bank
- 4 killed while trying to recover gasoline after Mexico crash
- Afghan court sentences AP journalist's killer to 20 years
- Signs of discord as more joint Iran nuclear talks with deadline nearing
- Guinea deploys police as Sierra Leoneans flee Ebola lockdown
- Crash victim's father calls for more focus on pilot welfare
- French woman wounded in Tunisia museum attack dies
- Saudis say tracking Yemen rebel groups headed to border
- Nigeria extends voting to Sunday in areas with problems
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!