Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- TSA urging holiday weekend travelers to plan ahead
- Death of middle Georgia girl ruled homicide
- Georgia trooper shoots traveler after I-75 speeding stop
- Suspected Jacksonville bus shooter arrested in Georgia
- Georgia man with gun turns tables on carjacking suspect
- Extra security, protest planned for graduation in Valdosta
- Prosecutor to seek indictment in jail death of Savannah man
- Macon woman's index finger bitten off during fight
- Arrest made in 2012 slaying of Augusta security guard
- Atlanta man dies after being shot in leg during argument
- Congress' familiar path: short-term solutions
- Congress passes 2-month highway, transit aid extension
- Hundreds mourn NYC college dean killed in Amtrak crash
- Naked Florida man rescued after getting stuck on drawbridge
- The Latest on Waco shooting: Biker group gets proclamation
- Man released from Guantanamo in December dies in Kazakhstan
- Oil shouldn't spoil vacations for California beach tourists
- Man convicted of killing ex-wife whose 911 call was bungled
- Strangulation of child with blinds cord ruled a homicide
- Navy says pilot safely ejected when plane went off runway
- Myanmar president signs off on controversial population law
- AP Interview: Top UN official says Europe must open borders
- Egypt court acquits 17 in protest that saw mother shot dead
- Syrian official: Islamic State militants in Palmyra's museum
- Islamic State group radio claims Saudi mosque suicide attack
- Roadside bomb kills 2, including Afghan district chief
- Japan pledges climate change aid to Pacific island nations
- China contributing experts, troops to disaster relief drills
- AP Interview: Steinem says isolating N. Korea not working
- China says 2 schoolchildren die amid heavy flooding
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now for Educator Of The Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!