Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- House bill would remove limitations on cancer hospital
- SUV plunges off bridge on highway north of Atlanta
- Gov. Deal: February tax revenues up more than 12 percent
- Plane that skidded through fence at LaGuardia is removed
- Judge sets May sentencing for mom found guilty of murder
- Woman hospitalized with burn injuries after house fire
- Police search for motorist after woman killed in hit-and-run
- Search is on for escaped inmate in northwest Georgia
- Cell phone lot at Atlanta airport closing for road work
- Transportation funding bill passes Ga. House
- Malloy: some Newtown panel recommendations face challenges
- States say Obama administration misled judge on immigration
- Jail looms for mom who fled with son to fight circumcision
- Obama: Selma anniversary is about young people
- School votes for communism-themed dance dubbed 'prom-munism'
- Cities review ethics rules amid ties between chiefs, Taser
- Prosecutors want photos of theater shooting kept from public
- Hello Ceres! NASA spacecraft on first visit to dwarf planet
- CIA director to overhaul spy agency's management structure
- 50 years after Selma, Biden ties gay rights to civil rights
- Palestinian assailant wounds 5 Israelis in car attack
- Macedonia government accused of election fraud
- Mexican circus owners say ban means animals may die
- 12 die, thousands evacuated in Argentine flooding
- Dutch investigating old soap for traces of Holocaust victims
- EU chief optimistic about finding Iran nuclear deal
- UN approves resolution condemning use of chlorine in Syria
- Vatican: Fewer than 20 percent of employees women
- European Union submits climate plan for UN pact
- SAfrican president's children stable after car accident
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!