Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Employee charged with stealing gifts during Macon weddings
- Augusta man gets life sentence for molesting 6-year-old girl
- Metro Atlanta man shot dead after responding to pit bull ad
- Georgia man convicted in 2012 slaying of 9-year-old neighbor
- Retired Emory law professor gives $1 million to law school
- Ga. animal welfare group hosting watch party, adoption event
- Ga. law enforcement watching for drunk game day drivers
- Ex-APS official says district ordered documents destroyed
- 2 loaded guns, 2 inert grenades recovered at Atlanta airport
- Alabama gay couple wants court victory to take effect
- Ohio State expects $3M royalties bump after championship win
- Obama proposes precision medicine to end 'one size fits all'
- Cold-stunned turtles rehabilitated in New Orleans, released
- Judge to hear arguments on constitutionality of no fly list
- What red ink? As deficits dip, all sides seek more spending
- Media ask judge to unseal warrants in family's deaths
- Federal prosecutors drop 2 dozen stash house sting charges
- NASA moisture satellite launch scrubbed due to winds
- 35 years after boy Etan Patz vanished, murder trial to open
- Lawyer says Suge Knight was behind wheel in deadly crash
- NATO units set for Baltics, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria
- Activists: Syrian rebels blow up tunnel under army post
- Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe new African Union chairman
- Italy tries anew to elect president amid political wrangling
- Chad air force bombs Boko Haram out of Nigerian border town
- Ahead of election, Israel issues West Bank building tenders
- EPA administrator at Vatican ahead of encyclical.
- 12 civilians, 5 troops killed in eastern Ukraine
- Pakistan bomb blast kills 6 at Shiite Muslim mosque
- Britain marks 50th anniversary of Churchill's funeral
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!