Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition
Two students currently in the Volkswagen Academy’s Automation Mechatronics Program (AMP) won first place in the Skills USA state competition in the Mechatronics category.
Ian Gwaltney and Ryan Womble paired up as a two-person team to solve a simulated production process problem in the Robotic and Automation Technology competition. Teams were given a problem solving exercise to create a flow chart and sequence of operations involving the functions of a robotic workcell. They were judged on efficiency, speed and teamwork.
“We are proud of these students and what they have accomplished. This shows that Volkswagen Academy has the right training programs, the right instructors and that our students can compete nationwide,” said Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager in Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy.
Volkswagen Chattanooga’s Automation and Mechatronic Program is designed to teach and give hands-on training to students in machining, electricity, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, robotics, fault analysis and automation. For more information about the program, please go to www.ChattanoogaState.edu and then click on the Volkswagen Academy button on the main page.
Gwaltney and Womble will go to Kansas City in June to compete nationally in the National Leadership and Skills Conference for Skills USA.
Photo: From left: Ian Gwaltney, AMP Student; Ilker Subasi, Assistant Manager of Technical Training for Volkswagen Academy; Ralph Gwaltney, AMP Coordinator, Chattanooga State; Ryan Womble, AMP Student.Volkswagen Academy Students Win Competition Friday, May 3 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Autopsy: Football player's death due to heart disease
- Man charged with raping fiancTe's 12-year-old daughter
- Judge says Georgia's gay marriage ban can't be enforced
- Savannah school deemed safe after Freon scare
- Deputies find body inside apartment after report of gunfire
- Scholars edit, compile works of poet T.S. Eliot
- Richmond County deputy resigns after family violence arrest
- Presidential 'peanut poll' opens at Georgia National Fair
- Gwinnett County instructor accused of sexual assault
- Future films top songs for BET Hip-Hop Awards' pre show
- Obama touts immigration reform in speech to Hispanic leaders
- A look at recent payouts in police custody deaths nationwide
- US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed in brawl
- Satellite images show scale of NKorea's anniversary parade
- California to phase out microbeads used in soaps, toothpaste
- With drones in tow, Anderson debuts 'Junun' documentary
- The Latest: Video shows knife fight that injured US airman
- Man who says he killed wife to stop suffering given 15 years
- The Latest: Education firms charged in kickback scheme
- US: Several Russian cruise missiles landed in Iran
- Australia in talks to send refugees to Philippines
- Mexican army head is unhappy with law enforcement role
- Monarch butterflies begin entering Mexico on migration
- The Latest: UN: 'Christian refugees only' policy dangerous
- Associated Press count shows over 1,360 pilgrims killed in Saudi hajj crush, stampede in Mina
- Qatar royal sentenced by Prague court
- The Latest: Slovakia to help police Hungary's borders
- No-fly zone to be enforced over William and Kate's home
- Actor Daniel Craig: I'm over James Bond
- The Latest: Hungary OKs border help from EU, NATO forces
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!