Tonight: Cloudy with some rain possible late. An overnight low in the upper 30s. The rain could fall as a light wintry mix at higher elevations and north during the overnight hours. Rainfall amounts should be light.
Saturday: Some light rain ... More...
Wacker Awards Scholarships to Bradley Co. Students
Two $1000 Wacker Science Award scholarships were presented to graduating high school seniors this week. The Award was presented at Walker Valley High School last night to Savannah Craig, and at Bradley Central High School on Monday to Collin Gwaltney.
Dr. Konrad Bachhuber, vice president and site manager at Wacker Polysilicon North America, recognized the two recipients at each of their schools’ senior class awards nights.
“We selected Savannah Craig and Collin Gwaltney for this award because they both recognize how science can improve the lives of others,” said Dr. Bachhuber. “They share an enthusiasm and excitement for all that is possible with a career in science, and will use that enthusiasm to help make the world a better place.”
In addition to the scholarship, Dr. Bachhuber awarded both students with a plaque and a copy of the 100th anniversary edition of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics by William M. Haynes (editor). Both Craig and Gwaltney receive eligibility for an internship at Wacker Polysilicon North America during their Junior or Senior years at college as part of this award.
Craig plans to study medicine at Middle Tennessee State University. Gwaltney plans to study mechanical engineering at Tennessee Technological University.
“It is our goal with the Wacker Science Award to support and encourage students who demonstrate a strong aptitude and passion for science,” added Bachhuber.
The Wacker Science Award is a $1000 scholarship, applied directly to college tuition, for the most eligible student who submitted an essay which best answered the following question: “Why do you wish to pursue science or engineering after high school?”
Coleman Heming from Cleveland High School was recognized with the Wacker Science Award last week.
Wacker Science Award eligibility and requirements can be found online at www.wacker.com/science-award.
Since June 2009—before the company broke ground on their site in Charleston, Tenn.—Wacker Polysilicon has awarded scholarships each year to high school seniors in Bradley County. To date, including the two awards this week, the company has provided a total of $19,000 in local scholarships to high school seniors.
Wacker Awards Scholarships to Bradley Co. Students
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former Angels pick killed in argument over candy
- Dublin VA chief says waits still too long
- Flu season, early again, hitting hard in South and Midwest
- 3rd person dies after shooting at Macon nightclub
- Ex-Cub Scout leader sent to prison in child molestation case
- Dalton police officer faces child molestation charge
- Gwinnett County school board approves new attendance zones
- Ga. police offer holiday shipping safety tips
- Ga. public health officials craft driver safety programs
- Woodruff Arts Center receives $120,000 grant
- Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida
- Oklahoma official says state has execution drugs
- NY police officer suspended after videotaped punch
- Soccer governing body sues over player images
- Bob Simpson, co-developer of Saffir-Simpson scale, dies
- Ohio enacts law shielding execution drug sources
- Obama's Cuba switch forces exile groups to adapt
- Obama signs bill deepening US-Israeli cooperation
- Obama renews tax breaks, creates ABLE accounts
- Jury rules for Indiana woman in firing over IVF
- Franciscan religious order in `grave' financial crisis
- North Korea denies connection with Sony hacking
- UN urging Taliban to reduce Afghan civilian casualties
- German Amazon strikes to last until Christmas Eve
- Brazil to study legalization of medical marijuana
- Israeli military says Gaza rocket hits Israel
- Little-known book by pope outlines views, hopes for Cuba
- Suspected bomb found under N. Ireland soldier's car
- 9 migrants drown off Morocco coast
- Russia seeks 10 years in prison for Putin foe
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!