Tonight: Mostly cloudy with an overnight low in the low 30s.
Friday: Cloudy, the a mix of clouds and sun with an afternoon high in the upper 40s to near 50. A light north wind.
Friday Night: Cloudy with some rain possible late. ... More...
Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- UGA paid more than $40,000 for Gurley's legal help
- Ga. entrepreneur convicted of hiding income abroad
- Logistics company building plant in west Ga.
- Savannah Philharmonic director takes position in California
- FDA official warns of dangers of caffeine powder
- Gwinnett County school board to vote on new attendance zones
- Audit: Fulton County IT department mismanaged contracts
- Alabama woman admits role in tax fraud
- Georgia jobless rate drops to 7.2 percent
- Georgia Aquarium has new executive VP and COO
- NYC rapper pleads not guilty to gun, drug charges
- Report: Secret Service needs outsider as leader
- Grave of Confederate soldier dug up in Georgia
- Broken treetop hanging on wire gets holiday decor
- NASA's Orion spacecraft back in Florida after test flight
- Obama signs legislation ending benefits for Nazis
- 2nd security clearance investigation contractor hacked
- Oklahoma prisons lawyer says he felt pressured
- 2 defendants in meningitis outbreak case seek bail
- Police: Drunk man shot while entering wrong house
- World War II bomb defused in German city
- Suspected Islamic extremists kidnap 185 in Nigeria
- Video claims responsibility for Tunisia killings
- Pope Benedict got ball rolling with Cuba on Gross
- Canada woman stops for ducks; sentenced in 2 deaths
- Ireland repays $11 billion to IMF years early
- India's Sonia Gandhi hospitalized for infection
- Mexican legislator rescued from kidnappers
- India's Sonia Gandhi in hospital
- Iraqi Kurdish troops open corridor to Sinjar
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!