Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia governor proposes $50M more on pre-kindergarten
- Atlanta police investigating fatal stabbing
- Rally in Henry County after racist graffiti painted on homes
- Police: Man tried abducting girl near Cobb County bus stop
- Scientists study how rising seas will reshape Georgia coast
- Man sentenced for shooting stepfather in eye with flare gun
- Georgia-Pacific to close Wisconsin plant
- Former police officer charged with theft in federal court
- Authorities capture man in 1991 death of former girlfriend
- Health, election work elevated Jimmy Carter post-presidency
- Jewish site shootings trial to resume with closing arguments
- 10 Things to Know for Today
- Mourners to pay tribute to slain television cameraman
- Court to rule if California death penalty is cruel, unusual
- Rare photos of 19th-century blacks speak to modern Americans
- Hurricane churns in ocean, but watch ended for Hawaii
- Cops: Maine driver cited after selfie leads to injuries
- Kerry, Obama to raise global warming issues in Alaska
- Eastern Oregon fire destroys 2 more homes, guest house
- Shark spotted off California beach again in 2 days
- US murder suspect extradited to Czech Republic
- The Latest: Thai sought in Bangkok bomb believed in Turkey
- EU gives France 5 million euros for new Calais migrant camp
- South Sudan rebel leader: Cease-fire, peace pact in danger
- Wildfire destroys 5,000 acres in northwest Spain
- Gold hunters blocked from site of alleged Nazi gold train
- Canadians, Pakistani and Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
- Indian scholar who criticized idol worship murdered at home
- Afghan Taliban offer leader's biography amid power struggle
- The Latest: Thai police find bomb materials in 2nd apartment
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!