Tonight: Evening t-showers, otherwise cloudy and muggy with a low near 70.
Wednesday: ... More...
Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- GOP voters in Ga. to decide Senate nominee
- Primary runoff for Ga. schools post, Congress
- 2 Ga. schools recognized for environmental work
- Tropical depression forms in central Atlantic
- Georgia university launching new MBA program
- US nuclear regulator looks to reposition staff
- No charges for sheriff's deputy in Taser accident
- SIAC championship game moving to Montgomery
- Georgia AG wants same-sex marriage suit dismissed
- AG Olens refuses Carter's call for ethics probe
- Hopkins pays $190M in pelvis exam pix settlement
- Ward scheduled for court on assault charge
- Lawmakers face long to-do list, uncertain success
- Cooler weather aids crews fighting Washington fire
- Evangelical group sets sights on secular Portland
- Theater shooting lawyers in court to discuss video
- VA nominee McDonald goes before Congress
- HIV pills show more promise to prevent infection
- Obama heads off to raise money on the West Coast
- American Jews, other 'lone soldiers' serve Israel
- Berlin bans anti-Semitic slogan at Gaza protests
- 66 reported hurt in Turkish tanker truck explosion
- EU meets as some countries seek tougher sanctions
- Egypt calls for Israeli, Palestinian peace talks
- Cambodian political rivals say agreement reached
- Turkey: police involved in graft probe detained
- Moscow subway chief fired after 22 killed in crash
- Widodo leads as Indonesia set to declare president
- Shakhtar midfielder says players' lives at risk
- Protesters at Russian embassy in KL seek justice
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Golf Card2014 Golf Card
FORE! Get your Golf Card now to enjoy 10 rounds of golf at great local courses for one low price! CHECK OUT THE DEAL.
Health and Beauty
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!