Friday: Mostly cloudy with some rain at times again. Even a thundershower possible. High in the low to mid 80s.
Showers and a few storms ... More...
Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Atlanta Public Schools announces pay increases
- GA woman fights charges after car strikes children
- Winner declared in Ga. GOP school's chief recount
- Ebola patient to be transferred to Emory hospital
- Ga. exempted from parts of federal education law
- Children at Macon daycare to be tested for TB
- Usher 'overwhelmed' by supporters of foundation
- Georgia woman charged in widespread tax fraud case
- Dog fatally shot after attacking Ga. boy, officer
- Gov. Deal meets with Latino leaders on immigration
- Cantor tells newspaper he'll resign in August
- Couple channel grief into retreat for veterans
- Hearing set on stabbing suspect's mental health
- Yosemite wildfire weakened, evacuations to end
- WWI aviation still alive at aerodrome in New York
- Heavy Gaza fighting ahead of proposed 3-day truce
- Senate confirms US ambassador to Russia
- Deal struck to conserve Colorado River basin
- GOP senator blocks approval of US ambassadors
- Boat collision off Fla. Keys kills 1, injures 1
- Uganda court to rule on legality of anti-gay law
- Gas blasts kill dozens in Taiwanese port
- Japan provides Vietnam with 6 vessels
- Australia welcomes Gaza ceasefire as 'marvelous'
- Officials: US citizen killed by bandits in Haiti
- Power gradually being restored in Colombia city
- Judge won't free Russian accused of hacking in US
- US, UN announce deal on Gaza cease-fire
- Israeli reservists will relieve Gaza troops
- Dutch retrieve DNA of some Ukraine crash victims
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!