Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Rape charge dismissed against Ga pastor
- Boone Newspapers affiliates acquire 2 Georgia newspapers
- Hearse with Bobbi Kristina Brown's body arrives at cemetery
- Former President Jimmy Carter undergoes liver operation
- Whistle-blower lawsuit settled in Navy kickbacks case
- Bobbi Kristina Brown to be buried next to mother
- Police make arrest in killing of man in Hyatt Place hotel
- Woman dies after being found unresponsive in Lake Lanier
- 'Preacher Pimp' painting prompts protests in Middle Georgia
- Driver killed when car plunges from bridge in east Georgia
- New Hampshire officials probing tent collapse that killed 2
- Drought could hurt endangered fish caught in water fight
- Mormon church to release more documents from founder
- 2 dead, 22 hurt in New Hampshire tent collapse
- Report: 2 dead, 22 hurt in New Hampshire tent collapse
- Alligator attacks worker at Forever Florida attraction
- Man faces federal charges in 2012 Molotov cocktail attack
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- GOP hopefuls take on illegal immigration, other issues at New Hampshire forum
- Worker dies after bee attack at California construction site
- Seoul reaches deal to salvage accident ferry
- Pakistan executes man who killed child as minor
- Chinese police save infant girl from pipe of public toilet
- Building collapses near Mumbai after heavy rain, killing 12
- 9 swept away by flash flood in China; 8 bodies recovered
- US, Philippines to raise territorial row in Malaysia meet
- Kerry talks trade in Singapore before regional security meet
- Hunters in Africa say they have a role in conservation
- Whale appears alongside yachts in luxury Argentine area
- Ethiopia jails 18 Muslims over alleged terror
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!