Wednesday: Early morning fog, then partly sunny , hot and humid. A chance for afternoon and evening t-showers. An afternoon high ... More...
Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
After more than ten years of helping adults in Northwest Georgia learn the gift of reading, Georgia Northwestern Technical College GED staffer Gail Walker has received one of her program’s highest honors.
GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education Coleen Brooks awarded her long-time co-worker with the prestigious GEDD Award in a ceremony held Wednesday on the Gordon County Campus of Georgia Northwestern in Calhoun, Georgia. Walker, who was the student of the year in the GED program in 2001-2002, is the 2013 winner of the honor. “The GEDD award stands for Goals, Excellence, Determination, and Difference,” said Brooks.
The GEDD Award is given each year by the college’s GED program to an alumnus who has succeeded in the world after receiving a GED. Walker first began working at GNTC in 2002, shortly after earning her diploma, as a part-time instructional assistant. Four years later, the college made her a full-time employee and she has excelled at that position ever since.
Walker, the 11th of 12 children in her family, began working at fifteen years of age when she was a car hop at the Chow Time restaurant in Rome, Georgia. “Her desire to work hard for everything in life has been there since the beginning and simply has not changed,” said Brooks.
Never finishing her high school career as a teenager, she would end up at Outboard Marine Corporation in Calhoun, Georgia. She would work there until 2001. That’s when the nationwide company would close its doors for good. What started as a temporary lay-off of four weeks, ended up being permanent for 7,000 employees across the United States; 600 of which were employed at the Calhoun plant.
Without a high school diploma, Walker knew she’d have to earn one to be able to move forward and succeed. “It was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life,” said Walker. “Getting your GED is a second chance for so many people. I’m glad I realized what a great opportunity this was for me.” Walker’s student of the year award (EAGLE award) in 2002 allowed her to represent the college’s GED program on the state level. “So many opportunities have come my way as a result of me making that one decision to get my diploma,” said Walker.
The Georgia Northwestern GED program has graduated more than 2,000 students who have gone on to collegiate and professional careers as a result of their their educational achievements.
Photo: (l-r) Gail Walker, GNTC GEDD Award Winner, and Coleen Brooks, GNTC Assistant Director of Adult Education.Walker Wins GNTC's GEDD Award For Career Excellence
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Murder charge sought in Statesboro death
- Woman sentenced in silicone injection case
- Woman in Paulding Co. trail attack leaves hospital
- Home Depot investigates breach
- Study: Georgia disaster preparation weak for kids
- Crews search Lake Lanier for missing woman
- Storms spark lightning fires in Winder, Macon
- Georgia Tech police probe robberies of students
- Alabama man shot to death; Georgia man wounded
- Police probe stabbing of pit bull inside pet store
- 911 calls show efforts to save firearms instructor
- Court: US can withhold Guantanamo detainee images
- US stock market closes mostly lower
- By The Associated Press
- APNewsBreak: NYC shuts 9 pre-k centers
- NATO coalition in Afghanistan shrinking
- Woman sentenced in silicone injection case
- Double mastectomy doesn't boost survival for most
YORK, Maine (AP) -- New England's tallest lighthouse has been sold for $78,000.
- Adviser bio page vanishes from Russian fund site
- Ukrainian troops routed as Russia talks tough
- Calais mayor might close port to stop migrants
- Macedonian premier, opposition leader, go to court
- Mexico plans $9.2B airport project for capital
- Ukraine military routed as Russia talks tough
- Spanish judge orders release of ill boy's parents
- Video purports to show beheading of US journalist
- Another American in Liberia contracts Ebola: Group
- UN: 4 peacekeepers killed in northern Mali, 6 hurt
- Nicaragua calls off search for 4 missing miners
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!