Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy and much cooler. Low in the upper 30s.
Tuesday: A mix of sun and clouds. Cooler, with a high in the mid 50s. A north wind at 5-10mph.
Tuesday Night: Cloudy. A chance for rain possible, ... More...
Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Former jail clerk charged with theft from inmates
- Body found on shore of Lake Lanier
- VA regional director announces plans to retire
- Crews work to assess storm damage, restore power
- Woman dies after being shot at MARTA bus stop
- Georgia court upholds private probation law
- Woman shot at MARTA bus stop outside Atlanta
- New streetcar involved in 2 crashes before debut
- Crews work to clear storm damage, restore power
- Power restored to most customers after storms
- 2 teenage victims named in Cleveland home shooting
- Stranded sea turtles to be flown to Florida
- Honda admits failing to report deaths, injuries
- Son sought after woman run over, killed in Maine
- Lost hummingbird gets lift from St. Paul to Texas
- Security breach eyed at US embassy in Yemen
- Man sentenced in heroin death of Pickens' grandson
- Alabama deputy, 3 teens killed in head-on crash
- Academics vote to be forum on Israel boycotts
- Teens punished for prank on autistic classmate
- Cruise ship passenger lost overboard off Sydney
- Iran nuclear talks extended until July
- UN chief: Palestinian recognition gains momentum
- Nigeria's opposition condemns raid on their office
- Sinn Fein delivers list of suspected IRA rapists
- Gunmen kill scores in northeastern Nigeria
- Iran president: 'Negotiations will lead to a deal'
- US condemns Gambia's anti-gay law
- Saudi Arabia: Islamic State group linked to attack
- Syrian on hunger strike outside Greek parliament
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!