Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Girl, 9, wounded by gunshot in northeast Georgia
- Jury to start Day 7 of deliberating in school cheating trial
- Board chair: Morris Brown College to emerge from bankruptcy
- Police seek gunman suspected of shooting cars near I-285
- Prayer vigil planned after man in Maserati shot by police
- New Ga. hunting regulations proposed; public comment sought
- Tennessee Valley Authority to open visitor centers Saturday
- KSU hosting conference on addiction in young people
- Couple wanted in 1992 cold case arrested in central Georgia
- Georgians denied diplomas may petition for one under new law
- Questions remain in officer-involved shooting at NSA
- US to pledge up to 28 percent emission cut in global treaty
- Officers interview survivor of mobile home park killings
- Tsarnaev's lawyers try to show brother in charge of bombing
- 'Bernie' case prosecutor seeks recusal, says he's a witness
- Police: Man who drank 36 beers crashes into Utah house
- US files appeal of judge's hold on immigration action
- Cyclists completing ride from Sandy Hook to Washington
- 10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Jury awards $38.5 million-plus in fatal shooting at plant
- Indonesian prosecutors seek up to 18-year term for US couple
- Anne Frank House museum: Jewish diarist likely died earlier
- Several Turkish cities hit by power outage
- Thai leader moves to lift marital law, impose absolute power
- Differences persist on deadline day for Iran nuke talks
- Canada approves extension and expansion of IS mission
- Mexico double-transplant patient gets US humanitarian pass
- Prosecutors probe Moldova ex-president's son for corruption
- Azerbaijan starts trial of 6 alleged Islamic State militants
- Red Cross truck attacked in Mali; 1 dead, 1 wounded
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!