Tonight: A partly cloudy sky with an overnight low in the low 60s (50s away from the city)
Saturday: Sunny to partly ... More...
Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Large Ga. school system to change attendance zones
- Judge sides with Fulton County in tax hike dispute
- Jekyll Island hosting shrimp and grits festival
- France-Atlanta collaboration set for next month
- Ga. suspending online child support payments
- Ebola survivor donating blood to Atlanta patient
- Maduro says foreign media behind fears of epidemic
- Ex-DFCS counselor sentenced in rape, molestation
- GBI probing fatal police shooting in Savannah
- Ga. woman acquitted of voter irregularity charges
- Case of American jailed in Cuba back in US court
- Deliberations to resume in Ga. salmonella trial
- Judge to hear objections to Hopkins settlement
- Convicted Florida felon kills his 6 grandchildren
- Congress backs Obama on aid to Syrian rebels
- Utah doctor to be sentenced for killing wife
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US bomber
- Search to resume for Texas deputy missing in flood
- Privacy groups take 2nd hit on license plate data
- Fake tweets stir debate about parody, lawsuit
- Dempsey lauds French airstrike against militants
- 3 French students hit by gunfire on school trip
- Morocco expands laws against jihad seekers
- Police: American suspect confesses in Bali killing
- Rocket kills 2 Lebanese soldiers near Syria border
- Guinea: 8 people killed on Ebola awareness trip
- 1st US anti-Ebola military aid arrives in Liberia
- Donetsk cleans up from shelling in eastern Ukraine
- Uganda's president fires top challenger for power
- Indian state TV sacks anchor over China blunder
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!