Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- DaVita to pay $450M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- DaVita to pay $495M to settle Atlanta whistleblower lawsuit
- Dead body found in Atlanta trash bin
- Georgia city to remove Christian flag flying over city hall
- Phenix City boy expected to recover from shooting
- Former Ga. banker sentenced on fraud charges
- Deal signs $900 million transportation package into law
- Man crashes SUV into church, injures 3 children
- Georgia sheriff accused of shooting woman in Atlanta suburb
- Georgia man and his 3-year-old daughter die in car accident
- Colorado lawmakers agree to limit odd proxy marriages
- Police: US couple killed in US Virgin Islands
- Trailer fire kills 3 women from family; 4 relatives escape
- Oregon bill passes expanding background checks for gun sales
- APNewsBreak: Marine general chosen Joint Chiefs chairman
- Georgia town to remove Christian flag flying over City Hall
- Chris Brown accused of battery in Las Vegas
- Jury in Etan Patz '79 missing-boy case gets new aid: printer
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies at 69
- Crater collapse causes lava explosion on Hawaii's Kilauea
- Strong quake rocks Papua New Guinea, local tsunami possible
- Transit trains crash in Mexico City, no early injury reports
- Nigeria's military: Battling tribal militia, not civilians
- Colombia stunned by theft of Garcia Marquez's first edition
- Russia's new Armata tank makes debut in parade rehearsal
- Egypt's deposed autocrat Mubarak turns 87, waves to fans
- Israel veterans group alleges Israeli misconduct in Gaza war
- Jihadists destroy proposed world heritage site in Mali
- Canada seeks stay of bail against former Gitmo inmate
- UN confirms Ban will visit Moscow for WW2 Victory Day
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!