Women in War - The Roles Women Played
In conjunction with Women’s History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park invites the public to attend a special program at the Widow Glenn House Site, near Tour Stop #6, on Chickamauga Battlefield. Join a park ranger on Saturday, March 9, 2013, at 2:00 p.m. for a one hour program to learn about the roles local women played before, during and after the second bloodiest battle of the American Civil War.
Riding onto the battlefield during the early morning hours of September 19, 1863, Union Major General William Rosecrans took possession of a small house which sat on a commanding hill overlooking the Dry Valley and LaFayette Roads. He reportedly told the owner, Eliza Glenn, that “she was in great danger” and needed to “depart at once” since the battle was already raging heavily on the eastern side of the battlefield. Regrettably, Eliza’s fortune did not improve as the battle unfolded. Widowed in April 1863 when her husband, a Confederate soldier, died in Mobile, Alabama, her house would burn during the fighting on September 20. Learn more about the Widow Glenn and other stories associated with women in the midst of the Battle of Chickamauga.
The program will take place outdoors on Chickamauga Battlefield. Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs and to dress appropriately for the weather.
For more information about programs at Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, contact the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241, the Lookout Mountain Battlefield Visitor Center at (423) 821-7786, or visit the park’s website at www.nps.gov/chch.
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Celebrities offer support for Whitney Houston's daughter
- Sheriff seeking 'person of interest' after 5 people killed
- State buying homes around air base to limit 'encroachment'
- Northeast Georgia hospital plans new pediatric unit
- Court to hear challenge to Braves stadium financing
- Ga. Democrats re-elect party chairman after 2014 losses
- 3 men shot in Afghanistan worked for North Carolina firm
- Fire in Jones County scorches 3 acres
- Emory, CDC team up to train hospitals in Ebola treatment
- GBI seizes guns while investigating slaying of Cobb couple
- Balloon pilots arrive in New Mexico after historic flight
- Sheriff's office IDs injured Mount Hood climbers
- Snowstorm delays Boston Marathon bombing trial
- Alan Simpson says Jeb Bush best choice for president in 2016
- Midwest storm disrupts travel
- San Francisco experiences driest January on record
- Pregnant smokers can get free diapers by kicking the habit
- Michigan fighting claims of sexual abuse by teens in prison
- Snow blankets Plains, Midwest
- Boyfriend arrested in rape, brutal attack of California girl
- South Sudan's warring factions sign another peace deal
- Hungarians protest against premier's dealings with Putin
- Spain: 400 migrants repelled after storming border fence
- Flash floods hit Greece, Albania, force evacuations
- Arabic news channel backed by Saudi prince goes on air
- Rights group: Egypt 'covering up' protester deaths
- Romanian mountain Ice Church draws all types of Christians
- Thai luxury train locomotive catches fire, no one hurt
- Iran's Ahmadinejad launches website ahead of vote
- 6 missing Bulgarians working for UN in Sudan 'released'
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!