Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- High school teacher killed in wreck with prom-going teens
MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) -- About 80,000 people attended the annual Taste of Marietta festival in northern Atlanta.
- 2 killed in northwest Atlanta shooting
- 82nd Airborne holds change of responsibility ceremony
- Police say teenager hit, killed 2-year-old Georgia boy
- Lawyer in Atlanta cheating case previews new support group
- Family says Georgia man missing after Nepal earthquake
- Singer Jamie Barton wins the 'Heisman Trophy' of music
- At Civil War's end, a steamboat disaster that history forgot
- Former president Carter reflects before milestone mission
- The Latest: Some Colorado shooting survivors arrive at court
- Latest on police-custody death: Gray's funeral concludes
- Mom faces charges after 4 kids locked in basement 13 1/2 hours
- Kerry: Will urge Iran FM to push Yemen rebels to talks
- Witnesses: UFC champ ran from crash, returned to grab cash
- Suspect arrested after crashing through Utah airport fence
- Latest on police-custody death: Congressman at Gray funeral
- US citizen wants pardon, compensation in Dubai video case
- Search warrants: Accused Ohio terror suspect hid identity
- By The Numbers: Colorado theater shooting trial
- Sicilian court convicts 20 Somalis of migrant-trafficking
- Burundi Red Cross: 6 killed in anti-president protests
- Uruguay urges ex-Guantanamo detainees to sign for housing
- UN: Israeli actions killed 44 Palestinians at UN shelters
- Memorial held for French Alps crash victims in Barcelona
- SAfrica: Charity, solidarity arise in anti-foreigner attacks
- Nuclear powers gather at UN to talk disarmament
- Ex-president OK'd CIA site, denies knowing what it was for
- Kenya: Court orders government to register gay rights group
- German-Moroccan man charged with training, fighting in Syria
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!