Today: Rain ending and clearing skies. An afternoon high in the upper 50s to near 60.
Tonight: A fair sky and seasonably cold with a low in the mid/upper 30s.
Saturday: Sunny early, then a mix of sun and clouds. An afternoon ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. airport concessions overhaul making progress
- Eastern European ambassadors to meet in Atlanta
- Ga. Department of Labor hosting job fair
- Taxis, limos upset over rules for tech competition
- Federal storm aid being offered to 39 GA counties
- Gay hiring fears hurt Baptist agency fundraising
- Ga. members of Congress sign letter on harbor snub
- Porsche's hybrid sports car arrives via Ga. port
- Mayors to discuss issues facing big US cities
- Ga. revenues in February total nearly $838 million
- Opening statements to begin in general's sex trial
- Obama to promote education agenda at Miami school
- A snapshot of US job market on eve of Feb. data
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Putin
- Kansas high court to rule in school funding suit
- Experts: Case of burned Texas boy problematic
- Obama, Japanese PM discuss Ukraine in phone call
- Blind man survives track fall as LA train arrives
- Judge dismisses FAA fine against small drone user
- Obama tells Putin Russia's moves are violation
- Kerry meets with Jordan's king over peace plan
- Activists: 17 rebels die in battle for Syrian town
- German president to visit massacre site in Greece
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube
- Saudi Arabia reports 1 more death from new virus
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- 2 people shot, wounded near Thai protest site
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack
- Malaysia bans Ultraman book over use of Allah
- Power says Crimea referendum risks escalation
The Good Life
Celebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Stories of HonorCelebrate black history all February long with Stories of Honor, sponsored by the Tennessee Lottery.
SideroadsTake a ride with Don Welch to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekEach week WTVC will profile a teacher in Southeast Tennessee and acknowledge their part in the advancement of the education of their students and the contributions to their profession.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!