Tonight: Cloudy. A chance for rain possible late. A better chance in southern and eastern parts of the viewing area. Snow showers mixing in at the higher peaks of the Smokies & Blue Ridge Mtns. An overnight low in the mid/upper 30s.
Wednesday: ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- 21 arrested during Ferguson protests in Atlanta
- Protesters in Atlanta oppose Ferguson decision
- Met Museum gets major gift of African-American art
- Clemency hearing set for Georgia death row inmate
- Dawson County man shot to death during fight
- Protesters plan Atlanta protest of Ferguson ruling
- Police identify woman fatally shot at bus stop
- UGA breaking ground on new annex
- New director named for UGA Extension
- Ga. fire chief in trouble over homosexuality book
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- 5th person pleads guilty in drug warehouse heist
- Man arrested; deputies say he aimed banana at them
- 2 men charged with trying to support Islamic State
- Cleveland crowd protests over boy shot by police
- Grand jury focused on key fatal Ferguson 'tussle'
- 2 hunters shot in woods behind Pennsylvania school
- In Seattle, tofu turkeys get Thanksgiving pardons
- Obama pitches immigration steps in his hometown
- Obama: No excuse for destructive acts in Ferguson
- Report finds abusers remain in Australian ranks
- China state media says 24 coal miners die in fire
- Report cites weather in deadly Bahamas air crash
- Argentina president returns after illness
- Greece: HIV infections ease after spike
- Puerto Rico police seize $11.5M worth of cocaine
- Gunmen seize jewels and hostage in Paris heist
- UN: 12.2 million Syrians need humanitarian help
- 24 died in Burkina Faso unrest that ousted leader
- 8 shoes of Holocaust victims stolen in Poland
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!