Today: Sunny to partly sunny and hot with an afternoon high in the lower 90s. An isolated shower over the Blue Ridge Mtns. A southwest wind at 5-10mph.
Tonight: A few clouds and muggy with an overnight low in the low 70s.
Sunday: ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Police investigating fatal crash in Cobb County
- Savannah displays maps tracing city's origins
- Excursions set for Okefenokee, Cumberland Island
- Course offered for commercial license instructors
- Hundreds of demonstrators rally in Atlanta over war in Gaza
- Dueling ethics complaints filed in Ga. gov race
- Judge approves bonds to finance new Braves stadium
- Dozens in Atlanta rally on either side of Gaza war
- Ex-secretary in Douglas Co. DA's office indicted
- Hundreds see James Brown film premiere in Augusta
- Parents of Australian victim visit crash site
- Wildfire burns 2 structures, forces evacuations
- Evacuation order lifted in northern Utah
- Official: Hospital gunman intended to kill others
- Police hunt for 2 who carjacked SUV, killed 3 kids
- No truce, but 12-hour lull in Gaza fighting begins
- California to have 4 governors in 4 days next week
- Arizona's McCain: Execution was torture
- Defense Department employee gets 2 years in prison
- Police still investigating after burglar killed
- Egypt warns Turkey of worsening ties
- French minister calls on protesters to observe ban
- Hungary leader says NGOs serving foreign interests
- Diplomats call for extension of Gaza cease-fire
BEIT HANOUN, Gaza Strip (AP) -- Gaza officials now say at least 985 Palestinians have been killed and more than 6,000 wounded in 19 days of conflict with Israel. Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip have also destroyed hundreds of homes and sent tens of thousands fleeing.
- Planes fly more victims from Ukraine crash site
- 2 critics of Swaziland government sentenced
- Russia: EU sanctions weaken anti-terrorism efforts
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce efforts stall
- War crimes commission takes aim at Islamic State
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!