Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Ga. state patrol: Teen dancing in road caused serious crash
- Ga. deputy accidentally shot during training exercise
- Officials vote to fire Ga. teacher accused of allowing sex
- Teen charged as an adult in school bus shooting
- Ga. man sentenced for unemployment fraud
- Anheuser-Busch producing canned water for flood victims
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Ga mom charged with letting son hit student on school bus
- 15 go to hospital after church bus crash in north Ga
- Georgia Hooters waitress donates kidney to longtime regular
- Amazon ups Ohio jobs to 1,000, begins collecting sales taxes
- House committee chairman subpoenas IRS official for hearing
- Latest on flooding: Arkansas counties deemed disaster areas
- Navy, Coast Guard investigate Arizona Memorial dock mishap
- Prosecutors mulling appeal in FBI ruse case in Las Vegas
- US nears deal on extending ex-Gitmo inmates' travel ban
- Latest on Dennis Hastert: Hastert resigns from college board
- Thousands view B.B. King on eve of Mississippi funeral
- Police: Former youngest death-row inmate left suicide note
- Utah woman to serve at least 49 years in newborn deaths
- Canada gunman praises Allah in unedited pre-shooting video
- THE LATEST: Brazil's Del Nero denies wrongdoing
- Canada to strip citizenship of dual-national terror convicts
- UN nuke agency report shows Iran probe essentially stalled
- Russia: Rocket failure was due to vibrations
- Canada strips citizenship from dual-national terror suspects
- New Nigerian leader vows to take on Boko Haram
- Experts urge Hungary to probe domestic human trafficking
- Pope praises 'heroism' of parents who decided not to abort
- THE LATEST: Prince Ali withdraws from FIFA leadership race
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!