Today: Mostly sunny and breezy. Highs in the low 80s with wind from the North 10-20 mph.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows around 60.
Highs in the mid 80s the rest of the work week. A few showers ... More...
Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
Gov. Bill Haslam says more than $2.7 million in workforce development grants for two Memphis colleges can help meet Tennessee's need for qualified workers.
Haslam announced the grants Monday at the Tennessee College of Applied Technology-Memphis.
The college is receiving $1.2 million for equipment to enhance its Avionics and Aircraft Maintenance and Advanced Manufacturing programs. Haslam says every graduate of the college gets placed in a job.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is getting $1.5 million for its mechatronics program. Mechatronics combines mechanical, electronic and systems engineering in product design.
Haslam says only 32 percent of Tennesseans have certificates or degrees beyond high school. Studies show that number must be 55 percent by 2025 to meet workforce demands.
The Legislature approved $16.5 million for grants at technical and community colleges.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Workforce Development Grants for Two Tennessee Colleges
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man killed in plane crash on beach was stationed at Georgia base
- Soil type could impede industry on Georgia's coast
- Train collides with high school teacher's SUV
- Ga. woman to make court appearance in hot car case
- Sheriff, pastors to discuss church burglaries
- Ga. health officials seek public input on spending
- Improvements coming to 2 GA driver service centers
- 4 Ga. kids hurt by rolling car, charges filed
- 4 children left in locked SUV, Ga. woman arrested
- Ga. woman sentenced in child abuse case
- Lawmakers try to seal $225M aid package for Israel
- NYC woman finds wedding dress lost after Sandy
- Mars rover holds off-Earth distance record
- Man charged in teen's disappearance heads to court
- Gaza official: At least 100 killed today in Gaza
- Rare gazelle breaks own neck, dies at Topeka Zoo
- Hiker, 13, found in California national park
- Whale watching boat snagged by lobster trap rope
- Wildlife volunteer pleads in deaths of 300 animals
- Indian senior community part of growing niche
- West African airline suspends flights amid Ebola
- Burundi on edge amid rise of violent youth group
- Hungary's opposition asks EU to protect democracy
- Turkish PM Erdogan returning Jewish American award
- Fighter jet crashes in restive eastern Libyan city
- Quake shakes Mexico's Gulf coast
- Airport in Russia's St. Petersburg evacuated
- Renault profits rise thanks to cost cuts
- German minister: best for Snowden to return to US
- IMF approves new $5B credit line for Morocco
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!