WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Federal judge orders Atlanta police to implement reforms
- Authorities seize meth, heroin packaged as Mexican candy
- Ga. man's prison term cut because of investigators' affair
- Gov. Deal signs bills regulating ride hailing in Georgia
- DA: Sheriff's story raises questions about shooting of woman
- Deal signs watered down craft breweries bill
- Barnard, Mills re-elected chair, vice chair of Parole Board
- Police: Teen shot to death by girlfriend's brother
- Man sentenced to life plus 45 years for murder conviction
- 8 stores, 1 home raided during gambling investigation
- AP news guide: lethal injection drug in Tennessee
- Reporters press for open session on defense bill
- Latest on Boston trial: Prison consultant describes Supermax
- Latest on Texas attack: Father says gunman was caring, smart
- Latest on Boston trial: Bomber sorry after giving the finger
- Grand jury probe sought for Tulsa County Sheriff's Office
- Hospital efforts to save very premature babies vary widely
- Study: Gay, bisexual kids bullied more, even at early age
- Greenpeace wants Shell's lawsuit over protest dismissed
- Patriots employees traded texts about deflated footballs
- Venezuelan military officers sentenced for plotting coup
- Yemen's UN ambassador calls for ground forces to intervene
- Netanyahu partner says Israeli coalition talks are over
- Kerry seeks pause in Yemen war as he arrives in Saudi Arabia
- Tunisia steps up security at Jewish pilgrimage to Ghriba
- New UN envoy on Yemen sets off for region; talks planned
- Burundian opposition leader arrested as protests continue
- Danish premier travels to Wales to support British husband
- Striking Zimbabwean nurses refuse to work nightshift
- 4 UN peacekeepers found in east Congo after 2 killed
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!