Tonight: Windy and cold through the night with occasional snow showers and flurries. Light accumulation local mountains. An overnight low in the low/mid 30s. A north wind at 15-25mph and gusty. Significant accumulation at higher peaks of Blue Ridge & Smokies ... More...
WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race vote on promise of future
- Old DeKalb County jail burns again
- Jury deliberations begin in band hazing trial
- Clinton: Ga. Senate race about 'growing together'
- Ashes from Ebola victim's apartment in limbo
- Woman who set off pipe bombs appears before judge
- Police search for suspect after high-speed chase
- Freeze watch issued in north Georgia
- Early voting deadline quickly approaching
- Ex-Ga. store owner sentenced in WIC voucher fraud
- Lake Michigan waves slam Chicago lakeshore
- NYC worker suspended for using 'robotic voice'
- Girl barred over Ebola fears returns to school
- 88-year-old Missouri man charged with killing wife
- $13.5M award in Jehovah's Witnesses molest case
- Hospital: Girl, 14, dies after school shooting
- Police make arrest in slayings of 4 in Kentucky
- Don't forget to set your clocks back
- Superheroes, hazmat suits in NY Halloween parade
- A look at people killed during space missions
- China experimental moon orbiter returns
- Ecuador top court endorses re-election for Correa
- UN expresses 'deep outrage' at Islamic State group
- UN resolution urges Myanmar to drop identity plan
- Cyclists kidnapped, ransomed near Mexico City
- Suspected ETA member arrested in Germany
- Canada restricts visas amid Ebola scare
- Gentiloni named new foreign minister of Italy
- Head of UK sex-abuse inquiry quits
- Canadian gets life sentence in Mounties shootings
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!