WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- FBI: Hunt continues for suspect in bomb threats against jets
- Ga. inmate who's come close to death 3 times to die Tuesday
- Husband and wife found dead in their home outside Rome
- Man shot to death in Clayton County
- Police ID driver in wrong-way crash that shut down I-85
- Bomb threat against 2 planes at Atlanta's main airport
- Fire crews battling blaze at Douglasville apartment
- South Georgia police search for missing Cobb County couple
- Atlanta mayor: Better transit reduces income inequality
- Police investigate crash that shut down I-85 for 4 hours
- Juror questioning to resume in Boston Marathon bombing trial
- Nor'easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
- Medical pot only OK for sick kids failed by other drugs: MDs
- What you need to know about the snow headed to the Northeast
- Airlines prepare to shut down in Northeast for snowstorm
- 10 Things to Know for Monday
- Federal judge stays Ala. gay marriage ruling
- 2 planes evacuated in Seattle, 3rd flight diverted to Dallas
- 2 planes evacuated on arrival at Seattle-Tacoma airport
- Boehner's State of Union survival tip: Stare at Obama's head
- European woman plunges to death in car from Abu Dhabi tower
- Greece's Syriza seeks coalition partners after poll win
- Obama presides over India's grand Republic Day parade
- Obama: Counterterrorism operations in Yemen not affected
- Japan logs record trade deficit in 2014 on weakening yen
- UK reviewing security after hoax call to Cameron
- Tunisia's Islamists will not back new coalition govt
- Iranian lawmakers honor Guard commander over IS victories
- Venezuela blocks meeting of former leaders, opposition chief
- Iran foreign minister summoned to explain stroll with Kerry
Black HistoryCelebrating Black History Month with African American Firsts: Sports Legends
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Coats For KidsHelp us keep a child in need warm this winter.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!