WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Georgia native among 6 service members killed in Afghanistan
- Trooper fired for driving fast in crash that killed 2 teens
- Georgia man among 6 airmen killed in Afghanistan
- DA: Officer charged for fatally striking pedestrian with car
- CAU holds 95th anniversary for school of social work
- The Latest: Joaquin starts to move away from Bahamas
- Trooper fired
- Former deputy admits to child molestation charges, sentenced
- Convicted killer accidentally released caught in Atlanta
- Forecast for up to 5 inches of rain fuels flood concerns
- 'Natural' cigarette maker subject of class-action lawsuit
- FDNY: 12 injured when bus crashes into Queens home
- FDNY: 1 dead, 3 others injured in apparent gas blast
- Biden: No question transgender people can serve in military
- The Latest: Hurricane Joaquin moving toward Bermuda
- Official: 25 hurt in collapse of concrete awning at school
- Water filter distribution starts for residents in Flint
- Authorities investigate freeway shooting in Phoenix suburb
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following Oregon shootings
- NY woman accused in Ohio of contaminating son's feeding tube
- Dubai ruler launches aid and development foundation
- Turkey says Russian airstrikes in Syria 'unacceptable'
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
- Doctors Without Borders leaves Afghan city after airstrike
- Jordanian MP says son joined IS, carried out suicide attack
- Typhoon heads for south China; tens of thousands evacuated
- The Latest: Obama demands details on Afghan clinic airstrike
- Emirates vote for federal council sees 35-percent turnout
- The Latest: UN chief condemns deadly Kunduz hospital bombing
- The Latest: US military promises inquiry of Kunduz bombing
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!