Sunday: Very humid with a mix of clouds and sun. A better chance for scattered t-showers. An afternoon high in the upper 80s.
Labor ... More...
WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Vigil planned for Ohio plane crash victims
- Family sues Georgia police after death in custody
- Police: Man kills himself after 2 women stabbed
- 4 people face 3,736 charges in tax refund scheme
- Atlanta police officer faces 1st court appearance
- Former VA employee sentenced for theft
- Ga. health care provider, tech firm partner
- USDA seizes more than 1,200 illegal giant snails
- Ga. officials urge boating safety over holiday
- Atlanta police officer arrested in woman's death
- Lawyer: Case against Maserati cop car driver silly
- Palestinian leader say Hamas caused prolonged war
- Shuttle bus crash jams traffic into O'Hare airport
- Family sues Georgia police after death in custody
- Family feels sorry for girl, 9, who shot their dad
- Officials: school bus driver had prior DUI arrest
- Military: Pilot was killed in Virginia F-15 crash
- US admiral urges China on South China Sea disputes
- Manatees may soon lose endangered species status
- 'Walking Dead' Marine battalion to be deactivated
- Tunisia recovers bodies of Syrian boat migrants
- All Filipino peacekeepers escape Golan standoff
- Australia to fly guns and ammunition into Iraq
- Pakistan protesters march on PM's residence
- Syrian rebels attack peacekeepers in Golan Heights
- EU prepares new sanctions over Russian military incursion
- Gulf meeting ends without clear end to Qatar spat
- Bahraini activist detained on arrival to kingdom
- Saudi king warns of terrorist threat to Europe, US
- Algeria says 2 abducted diplomats have been freed
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
This N ThatLearn about the latest in community affairs and great events with Brian Smith on This 'N That.
Educator of the WeekNominate now for Educator Of The Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!