Today: Mostly sunny and less humid. Hot, with an afternoon high in the upper 80s to near 90. A Northwest wind at 5 mph.
Tonight: A fair sky with an overnight low in the mid/upper 60s.
Saturday: Sunny ... More...
WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Man shot in Sandy Springs dies at hospital
- UGA seeking vice president for instruction
- Atlanta federal offices to reopen after outage
- Man injured in Sandy Springs apartment shooting
- Ga. governor chides president over young migrants
- Teen's complaint seeks schooling during pregnancy
- Ga. investigated complaint against Dalton plant
- Ga. teen sues for in-home classes during pregnancy
- Casino company offers apology after boat got stuck
- Construction worker dies after falling from tower
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Va. Gov. McAuliffe to tour tornado damage
- Deadly fungus spreads in Everglades, killing trees
- Little sunlight as Obama raises super PAC dollars
- Central American leaders convening at White House
- Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- APNewsBreak: Gun law based on flawed estimate
- Cause sought for gunfight between patient, doctor
- Ohio State band marches on after director's firing
- Exoneration hearing set for convicted rapist
- Jordan shoots down 'aerial target' near Syria
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants; 5 dead
- German airlines cancel more Tel Aviv flights
- Australia readies 90 police for Ukraine crash site
- Surgeons in India remove 232 teeth from teen
- Ukraine reports overnight rebel attacks on border
- Official: Israel Cabinet to discuss cease-fire
- Black boxes from Taiwan air crash investigated
- Chicken off McDonald's HK menu after food scandal
- S.Korea lab fails to find out how ferry owner died
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
SideroadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Road TrippinCome Road Trippin' with us and see all the great sites in your area!
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearVote now on your favorite candidate teacher for the Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!