WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Explosion investigated at burning Marietta apartment complex
- Fred is easternmost hurricane to form in tropics of Atlantic
- Conviction keeps Albany ex-commissioner out of mayor's race
- Girl, 12, seriously hurt after being struck by car in Athens
- Georgia lawmaker says he had account on cheating website
- Explosion reported at burning Marietta apartment complex
- Georgia governor proposes $50M more on pre-kindergarten
- Atlanta police investigating fatal stabbing
- Rally in Henry County after racist graffiti painted on homes
- Police: Man tried abducting girl near Cobb County bus stop
- Coast Guard: Barge sinks in Mississippi River; no injuries
- Police: Torso likely that of man whose limbs found severed
- 'Erroneous Zones' author, self-help guru Wayne W. Dyer dies
- Former agent pleads guilty in Silk Road drug site probe
- Texas teen dies after amoeba enters brain
- Murder charge dropped against Irish nanny in US girl's death
- 244 arrested in Southern California immigration sting
- California doctor faces murder trial in 3 men's drug deaths
- 6 high school football players sentenced in hazing case
- Small earthquake rattles southern Los Angeles County
- Clashes during Israeli raid to arrest militant in West Bank
- Venezuelan leader says Colombia plotting his assassination
- Iran's Parliament speaker says he supports nuclear deal
- Hurricane Fred hits Cape Verde with flooding, downed trees
- Official: Turkish court orders British journalists arrested
- Mozambique: Journalists, academic found guilty of defamation
- Kanye for 2020? White House welcomes rapper's political bid
- Silence at Vatican funeral for ex-envoy in sexual abuse case
- EU Council president rejects criticism over migrant crisis
- Poland's warring leaders honor Solidarity separately
Hats from the HeartShow your support for breast cancer patients in our community.
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the WeekView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!