WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Bobby Brown's sister vows family feud is just beginning
- William S. Morris IV named CEO of Morris Communications Co.
- Confederate flag support rally held at Stone Mountain Park
- The Latest: Memorial service for Bobbi Kristina Brown ends
- The Latest: Controversy erupts at service for Bobbi Kristina
- Standing desks starting to catch on at Robins Air Force Base
- The Latest: Mourners arrive for funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Coast Guard rescues 2 women off the coast of Georgia
- 1 Fantasy 5 player wins jackpot worth $222,949.83
- Lucky Money jackpot rises to $1.8 million
- Police: Gunfire at Brooklyn backyard party injures 9
- Schumer calls for upgrades in stretch limo standards
- The Nation's Weather
- Photos of endangered animals shine on Empire State Building
- Woman gets probation in boyfriend's death by neglect
- Dr. Dre announces release of first album in 15 years
- NYC health official expects more Legionnaires' disease cases
- Verizon strike possible as contract deadline looms
- Q&A on possible extradition for dentist who killed lion
- Firefighter killed, hundreds flee as California blazes burn
- Russian police detain several gay activists
- Russian forces kill 8 suspected IS members in North Caucasus
- Zimbabwe alleges 2nd American involved in illegal lion hunt
- Rebels in eastern Ukraine say radioactive waste cache safe
- Rome-Milan train service back after storm pummels Florence
- UAE prosecutor refers 41 people to trial on terror charges
- Malaysia seeks help to expand search for MH370 debris
- Saudi citizen killed by incoming fire from neighboring Yemen
- Zimbabwe confirms lion named Jericho has not been shot
- Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera English verdict to Aug. 29
The Human RaceCheck out videos on The Human Race here!
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!