WTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
WTCI is proud to announce the winners for the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest. All first place winners from the Tennessee Valley will be entered into the national PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest, where they will compete against area winners from across the country.
The contest encourages children in grades K-3 in the Tennessee Valley and in communities across the country to celebrate the power of language and creativity by creating and submitting original stories and illustrations. WTCI was one of sixty-three (63) public television stations across the country that participated in this year’s contest.
“Congratulations to the winners and thank you to the more than 800 children who sent their stories to WTCI,” said Paul Grove, WTCI president and CEO. “We at WTCI were pleased to bring this opportunity to celebrate young writers in the Tennessee Valley. The many incredible entries we received during the WTCI PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest demonstrates the impact of WTCI and PBS KIDS’ shared commitment to opening up worlds of words for all young children in our community and across the country.”
The PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest is produced annually by PBS KIDS and managed and created by WNED-TV Buffalo/Toronto, and is a part of PBS KIDS Raising Readers, a national initiative that uses the power of public media to build the reading skills of children ages two to eight. More information on PBS KIDS Raising Readers and the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest can be found at pbskids.org/read.
An award ceremony was held at WTCI’s production studios to honor the winners for this year’s contest.
First Place: “The Elephant Ballerina” by Hannah Grace Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “The Sleepover” by Morgan Miller, Chattanooga, TN
Third Place: “The Bear and the Fox” by Andrew Figlestahler, Cleveland, TN
Honorable Mention: “My Family Vacation” by Gracie Tallent, Chattanooga, TN
First Grade Winners:
First Place: “Coco the Pig” by Caleb Johnson, Ringgold, GA
Second Place: “The Carnival Adventure” by Delaney Tallent, Apison, TN
Third Place: “Science the Super Kid” by Logan Thomas, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Liv and Viv” by Olivia Divel, Cleveland, TN
Second Grade Winners:
First Place: “The Cow That Would Not Moo” by Melanie Marcus, Dayton, TN
Second Place: “The Ducky Family of Pond Quack” by Will Paxton, Benton, TN
Third Place: “I See Sea and Sky” by Eli Ingram, Chattanooga, TN
Honorable Mention: “Cat Fight” by Mary Scott, Rossville, GA
Third Grade Winners:
First Place: “Candice Looks Inside” by Harmony Hammontree, Cohutta, GA
Second Place: “Philip’s Doggie Adventures” by Grace Barber, Hixson, TN
Third Place: “The Coolest Vacation Ever” by Emmy Hubbard, Wildwood, GA
Honorable Mention: “Two Months Early” by Madeline Bruce, Signal Mountain, TNWTCI Announces Go! Writers Contest Winners
- TN/GA Regional News
- National News
- International News
- Anheuser-Busch producing canned water for flood victims
- GBI probing deadly police shooting in Carrollton
- Ga mom charged with letting son hit student on school bus
- 15 go to hospital after church bus crash in north Ga
- Georgia Hooters waitress donates kidney to longtime regular
- New lab can create hurricane conditions on demand
- Ga man gets life in slaying linked to embezzlement
- Atlanta police chief named to association board
- Ga. man sentenced to 17 1/2 years on child porn charges
- Henry County family of 8 undergoing rabies treatments
- Correction: Plane Crash-Drinking story
- Latest on Dennis Hastert: Statue to honor ex-speaker on hold
- Teen charged with taking $25K, giving classmates $100 bills
- Latest on Oklahoma officer shooting: Suspect found in closet
- 3rd Navy sailor guilty in case of women recorded in showers
- For O'Malley, a lot riding on Iowa in 2016 campaign
- Trial date set for Indiana man charged with 2 women's deaths
- Latest on flooding: Flooding blocks Dallas-area highway
- Washington Monument reopens after power failure
- The Latest: Shot officer's injuries not life-threatening
- THE LATEST: Prince Ali withdraws from FIFA leadership race
- Syrian militants advance after seizing government stronghold
- Tunisia PM: Destroying migrant boats won't stop Europe flow
- Top Canadian minister to announces he's leaving politics
- THE LATEST: Voting begins to choose next FIFA president
- Croatia passes law compensating rape victims from 1990s war
- Former Tajik commander claims to have joined IS group
- Burundi opposition leader declares election boycott
- Belfast parties to meet in bid to save power-sharing
- EU-skeptic Finnish party joins Cabinet for 1st time
Side RoadsTake a ride with Brian Smith to explore the unique people and places to be found along the Sideroads of the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
The Good LifeCelebrating the events, adventures and activities that represent "The Good Life" in the NewsChannel 9 viewing area.
Closings and DelaysThese are the latest School and Business Closings reported to NewsChannel 9. If you see errors or need to add a school or business, call 423-757-7320.
Educator of the YearView the 2015 Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Year!
Deaf & Hard of HearingInformation provided to NewsChannel 9 by members of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
Sponsored EventsCheck Back Often for NewsChannel9 Sponsored Events!