Monday, June 16 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Life Care Center of East Ridge Grows Neuro-Rehab Specialty Program
Life Care Center of East Ridge has been growing its neuro-rehab specialty program.
'The neuro specialty serves all patients with a diagnosis related to neurological deficits,' explained Melissa McCranie, director of rehab services.
Examples include stroke, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. Therapists at the facility are specially trained in treating these diagnoses.
The neuro program offers:
• An adapted car for thorough driving evaluations. Life Care Center of East Ridge is the only facility in Hamilton County with two certified driving rehab specialists.
• The Biodex treadmill with partial weight-bearing support to help patients practice walking.
• The Bioness L300, which helps people with foot drop regain control over their ankle during walking.
• Interactive Metronome, which targets processing abilities to enhance attention, motor planning and sequencing. This also improves motor function, mobility, planning, organizing and speech.
• The Lee Silverman Voice Treatment programs LSVT BIG® (which addresses patients’ ability to move) and LSVT LOUD® (which helps patients compensate for the voice deficits caused by Parkinson’s).
• Myomo - Powered arm braces that help those with movement disorders or recovering from a stroke use their arms again.
• Neuro-Developmental Treatment (NDT) - which addresses central nervous system problems and improves mobility.
• Saebo technology to enhance upper-body function.
• VitalStim® therapy to help patients with dysphagia regain their ability to swallow.
Currently, McCranie and other associates at Life Care Center of East Ridge are focusing on growing the stroke component of the program. They have been working with the neuro team at Erlanger Health System to develop a similar program there.
'The response has been very positive,' said McCranie, 'with visibly improved outcomes for patients.'
The East Ridge facility’s neuro program has also earned nationwide recognition. In December, parent company Life Care Centers of America put it through a rigorous audit, which it passed with flying colors. As a result, it is now a Life Care Rehab Center of Excellence.
For more information about the neuro program, please call (423) 894-1254.
Life Care Center of East Ridge, located at 1500 Fincher Ave., is one of 26 rehab and skilled nursing facilities in Tennessee operated or managed by Life Care Centers of America.
Founded in 1976, Life Care is a nationwide health care company. With headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee, Life Care operates or manages more than 220 nursing, post-acute and Alzheimer’s centers in 28 states. For more information about Life Care, visit lcca.com.