A house built in the 1800's was destroyed by flames Monday night.
According to Hamilton County EMS spokesperson Amy Maxwell, at 9 o'clock Monday night a homeowner made a frantic call to 9-1-1 reporting a fire at his home. Maxwell says the house was fully engulfed by flames help arrived. The house was located at 111 Griffith Street (Sale Creek area).
Minutes later, Sale Creek VFD arrived on the scene confirming flames and heavy smoke showing throughout the house.
Sale Creek VFD Fire Chief, Jimbo Aslinger reported "this two story house was built in the 1800's and the old wood in this home was additional fuel source to this fire".
The homeowner, Christopher Breedlove explained to fire officials, today was the first day he used his wood stove since last winter. After starting his wood stove, he went to bed and awoke to the smell of heavy smoke. Once he got up to investigate the origin of smoke, he saw fire going up the side wall adjacent to the wood stove. Mr. Breedlove and his wife escaped without injury.
The house is a total loss and valued at $40,000. Maxwell said the Breedloves did not have insurance. The American Red Cross was called to help the family with their immediate needs.
There have been at least three other costly house fires in the area in recent days.