A Walker County family is thanking authorities for rescuing them from their burning home Thursday morning.
Three sheriff's deputies were able to guide the mother in crawling out of a second-floor window with her young boys, then jumping to safety.
We've obtained the 911 recording that the mother Nicole Kenney made before help arrived.
On the recording, the 911 operator asked, “Are y'all upstairs in the bedroom?"
"Yes, we're on the floor, and we can't breathe, and we're so sick. I've got the windows open," says Nicole Kenney.
"Okay, you've got the window open?" questions the 911 operator.
"Yes, and I bust out the screen, and my kids are lying on the floor with me," says Nicole Kenney.
Kenney and her two young sons - ages three and nine - were trapped on the second floor of their now-charred Chickamauga home. Here's more of Nicole Kenney's frantic 911 call before help arrived.
911 operator says, "Ma'am, listen to me. Where are you at in the house?
Nicole Kenney answers saying, "I'm upstairs, I've got my boys with me in my son's bedroom."
Three sheriff's deputies were able to help the mother crawl through the second floor window and hand them her kids from the roof. Firefighters say after the mother was able to hand her two kids to the deputies, she actually jumped 10 feet from the roof to join her children.
"Honestly without them, it could have been a different story," says the father Steve Kenney.
Steve Kenney was at work when the fire happened, but says he's thankful three deputies got his wife and two boys out the home safely
"It was that close. I know my wife said by the time she made it from here to the street, it was flames and it was engulfed," says Steve Kenney.
Firefighters say they fire likely started with a space heater too close to a sofa. They say they hope this fire will help get the word out to be extremely careful with space heaters.
"When it starts getting cold outside, people start using space heaters and different types of heating instruments to keep their houses warm. A lot of times they just don't take that extra little bit of care to keep them away from combustible items," says Marilon Thompson from the Walker County Fire Department.
Steve Kenney says if it wasn't for those three sheriff's deputies who guided his wife and kids to safety, things would have been different.
"I could have been by myself. I really could have been. It was that close," says Steve Kenney.
The Kenney's are now staying with family.
Sheriff Wilson says those three deputies were Josh Mathis, Zack Simpson, and Shawn Carter
Firefighters say it is very important for every family to have an evacuation plan.
By Jerry Askin
According to Walker County Fire Chief, Randy Camp, a home on South Forest Road in Chickamauga caught fire around 3:45 this morning. He says the fire started in the living room, which prevented a mother and her two children from exiting the house through the front door.
Chief Camp says two Walker Co. Sheriff's deputies were able to help rescue the family. Chief Camp says the mother was able to escape through a window onto the roof, and hand her children to the deputies.
Authorities say there were no serious injuries.
Firefighters believe the fire was caused by the use of a space heater in the living room.
Depend on NewsChannel9 to bring you details as this story develops.