Tuesday, August 26 2014, 08:51 PM EDT
Dispatcher Delays Call for Mother with Baby in Hot Car
A 10-month-old Florida boy accidentally gets trapped inside a hot car, and his mother says, she got a surprising answer when she called 9-1-1 for help.
Shana Dees, mother) "and that's what was the scariest part watching him change and get obviously much, much hotter."
All Shana Dees needed was bleach and bottled water. But this Florida mother's quick trip to this local CVS ended with her baby trapped and window broken.
10 month old Jack likes to play with just about anything he can get his hands on...especially car keys.
Only on Saturday when his mom put him in his car seat and closed the car door in order to secure their shopping cart.. she says in the three seconds it took to move the cart, he hit the lock button.
The black Acura wasn't running and temperatures were nearing triple digits.
"I went around and I am pulling on all the different doors, trying to get one to open," Dees says.
Panicked, she begged a passerby for a phone and called police.
Only the dispatcher didn't send help. She said "They won't be able to kind of gain access to the car unless the child is in some sort of distress."
Then, the dispatcher just ends the call.
"The dispatcher absolutely made a mistake, this is not the way we do business," said Laura McElroy of the Tampa Police Department.
Eight minutes went by before an off duty officer made a second call to 911.
With jack now in the car 10 minutes...help was finally on the way.
But before police could get there, another good Samaritan broke the car's left passenger window with a wrench.