Friday, two of the three Chattanooga firefighters who were burned almost two weeks ago spoke to NewsChannel 9. It happened while they were battling a fire at a home on 4th avenue.
We've learned their names are Daniel Peterson, Chad Williams and Captain Dean Rodgers.
During a press conference Friday morning, Patterson and Williams explained what happened. They showed us some of their burns on their head, neck, and hands.
The home was vacant, but while trying to put out the blaze, firefighters say a flashover likely happened. That's when materials reach extreme temperatures and even their protective gear can fail. The firefighters told us they're just happy to be alive.
'I actually felt my hand sizzle. My immediate reaction was to go and grab it. When I went and grabbed my hand, I could actually feel the skin move underneath the glove," says firefighter Chad Williams.
"I knew I had probably been burned, and was going to get some blisters, but when I saw the helmet, I was shocked," says Daniel Patterson.
We're told it'll take weeks before the firefighters will return to work. They remain on leave with full pay while they recover.
By Jerry Askin