Tuesday, January 28 2014, 05:44 PM EST
Ruptured Gas Line Leads to Fire at Eureka Foundry
While most were sleeping, there were some tense moments at a Chattanooga foundry. Around 1 am Tuesday, at the Eureka Foundry at 1601 Reggie White Boulevard, a natural gas line ruptured and erupted into flames.
Lt. Charles Waddell said when firefighters entered, there were flames 10 to 15 feet high shooting from a ruptured natural gas line on the floor. Firefighters brought in a hand-held hoseline, but Lt. Waddell instructed the firefighters to hold off on extinguishing the flames until the gas supply was shut off. Otherwise, the gas could build up again, find another ignition source in the building, and cause an explosion.
Firefighters found the shut-off valve and the fire was quickly put out. Before being extinguished, the fire had extended to the wood decking on the roof. Some firefighters got on the roof and used cutting tools to gain access to hot spots in the wood decking. After about an hour on the scene, the firefighters were confident that the fire was completely out.
No injuries were reported. Lt. Andrew Waters estimated the dollar loss at $20,000, but that figure could change after employees with Eureka Foundry have more time to assess the damage.