Wednesday, September 3 2014, 08:40 AM EDT
Whitfield County is Reporting Major Flooding
Whitfield County is reporting several incidents of road flooding, residential flooding, and structural flooding and damage associated with the heavy rains that drenched us overnight. You will need to take precautions this morning.
There have been no injuries reported with any of these incidents.
• Airport Road, between Dalton Municipal Airport and Murray County line
• East Walnut Avenue in the area of Dycus Road (near the shopping center with Carol’s Fashions)
• Abutment Road in the area of Sir Lancelot Place
• Dug Gap Road in the area of Coffey Drive (Kroger Shopping Center)
• Underwood Road in the area of Phoenix Place
• Cleveland Highway near Fleming Street (near S&W Pharmacy)
• Willowdale Rd. PLEASE encourage viewers and listeners to not attempt to use any portion of Willowdale Road. Dalton Police Department placed “high water” signs that were apparently washed away by more high water.
• Threadmill Road at Al Rollins Park. The park is also under water.
• Needham Drive
• Two of them were on Willowdale Road, hence the last bullet point in the previous section
• There were several in the area of Cleveland Highway and Fleming Street
• One was on Hill Road at Cathy Street, but that person was able to get out of the water by himself and continued on his way
• Roof collapse at Beaulieu plant located at 509 5th Avenue with 6” of water inside the structure
• Flooding inside the First Presbyterian Church located at 101 South Selvidge Street
• Flooding inside Al Johnson VW/Volvo located at 1202 North Glenwood Avenue
• There were at least two residential structures that sustained flooding inside. In the interest of privacy, I am not including their addresses.
• Tree down on Old Ringgold Road, south of McArthur Road. Whitfield County Road Department is on the way to remove it now. Deputy is standing by with blue lights until crew arrives.